Chefs at Home: Ginataang Bilo Bilo by Chaela Dee
Home chef, Chaela Dee, shares her carefully-prepared recipes that showcase how locally and sustainably sourced produce packs life-giving nutrition and flavor.
In this recipe, Chaela prepares a Filipino household staple which brings back fond childhood memories of waking up to the sweet smell of coconut and langka and filling our stomachs with the warm soup on a cold rainy morning.
Here's her recipe for Ginataang Bilo Bilo.Ingredients:
For the soup:
800 ml coconut milk
3/4 - 1 cup raw sugar (depending on sweetness preference)
1 cup water
1 1/2 cups jackfruit
3 pcs sweet potato
1 pc ube
3 pcs saba
1 pc cassava
1 cup sago (optional / we did not use any for the recipe)
For the bilo bilo mixture:
2 1/2 cups glutinous rice flour
1 cup water
1 tbsp sugar
1. Make the bilo bilo mixture by adding all ingredients together to make a dough and small circles. You may refrigerate them before cooking to hold shape.
2. If the mixture is too dry, add water 1tsp at a time or if the mixture is too wet, add 1tsp of glutinous rice flour at a time.
3. Allow water, coconut milk and sugar to boil.
4. Turn heat to low and add your diced sweet potato, ube and cassava until just about fork tender.
5. Add in your jackfruit and cook bilo bilo balls until they "rise" on top.
6. When you achieve the consistency you want for your snack, turn off heat as this may thicken when it cools. Serve warm.
Photos taken by Chaela's brother, Mike Dee.