Chefs at Home: Chicken Lugaw by Chaela Dee
Home chef, Chaela Dee, shares her carefully-prepared recipes that showcase how locally and sustainably sourced produce packs life-giving nutrition and flavor.
In this recipe, Chaela brings us to cherish simplicity in the form of this savory Filipino rice porridge.
Here's her recipe for Chicken Lugaw.
1 head medium white onion
3 garlic pieces
1 small knob of ginger
2 1/2 cups of preferred rice (heirloom or regular)
6 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
1 small chicken breast cut into smaller pieces (optional)
5 tbsp garlic bits fried, as garnish
1 spring onion chopped, as garnish
1. In a pan, place soil oil and saute diced onion, garlic and sliced ginger.
2. At this point you may saute your chicken if you choose to add it to your lugaw.
2. Add the washed and drained rice and saute for about 1 minute until nicely coated with oil and aromatics. Make sure to constantly stir to avoid burning.
3. Add in the chosen broth and allow the mixture to boil and turn heat to low.
4. You may cover the pot/pan used. Check your lugaw every 5 mins to see if it needs more broth to cook.
5. Once your lugaw is cooked, serve it in small bowls with garlic bits and chopped spring onions for garnish.
Photos taken by Chaela's brother, Mike Dee.