Recipe Box Recipes: Sinigang
- Usual meat options are pork belly, beef short ribs, fish or shrimp
- 2 quarts water
- 1 piece onion (sliced)
- 2 pieces tomato (quartered)
- 2 pieces gabi or taro (quartered)
- 1 piece radish or labanos (sliced)
- 1/2 120g pack Sinigang mix (good for 2 liters water)
- 3 pieces chili
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 12 pieces sitaw (cut in 2 inch length)
- 1 bunch kang-kong
1. Start to cook sinigang by boiling water in a wide and deep cooking pot. Once the water boils, provide flavor to the broth with onions and tomatoes. Some cook with rice wash (hugas bigas) for a thicker water consistency and mild sweeter taste.
2. Cook the meat (for this recipe for 25-30 minutes between low to medium heat.
3. Add the gabi to create a thick consistency and continue to boil in medium heat for 20 to 30 minutes or until the pork gets very tender. You may mash a piece or two of the gabi in the process. Add the radish and cook for another five minutes.
4. Put-in the sinigang mix, chili and fish sauce. Add more sinigang mix according to your sourness preference.
8. Add the string beans and simmer for 5 to 8 mins.
9. Finally, put-in the kangkong, turn off the heat, and cover the pot. Let the kangkong cook using the remaining heat in the pot.
10. Serve hot. Share and enjoy!