Recipe Box Recipes: Kare-Kare
Serving Size 5
- 1 Sariwa Kare-Kare Recipe Box
- Banana Heart/Puso ng Saging
- Pechay Native
- String Beans/Sitaw, cut into 2” slices
- Eggplant, sliced
- Spice: Sundried Atsuete, soaked in water
- Garlic, minced
- Onion Red, chopped
- 3 lbs oxtail, cut in 2” slices (you may also use tripe or beef slices)
- 1 cup ground peanuts
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup shrimp paste
- 1L water
- 1/2 cup toasted ground rice
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pot, bring the water to a boil.
- Put in the oxtail followed by the onions and simmer for 2.5 to 3 hrs or until tender (35 minutes if using a pressure cooker).
- Once the meat is tender, add the ground peanuts, peanut butter, and coloring (water from the atsuete mixture) and simmer for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the toasted ground rice and simmer for 5 minutes.
- On a separate pan, saute the garlic, then add the banana heart, eggplant, pechay, and string beans and cook for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked vegetables to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with shrimp paste. Enjoy!