Chefs at Home: Vegetarian Banana Blossom "Meatball"
- 1 pc fresh banana blossom or bud
- 1 tsp. Ginisa flavor mix
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion minced
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 pcs egg
- 1/2 cup rock salt for cleaning the banana blossoms
- Chop the banana blossom finely and mix with rock salt.
- Mix it thoroughly until the banana blossoms are well coated with salt and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Then squeeze the banana blossoms with your hands or you can use a piece of cloth to wrap the banana blossoms then squeeze it until the sap has been removed.
- Then wash it with warm water and squeeze it again to remove the water.
- In a bowl beat the eggs and mix the banana blossoms, minced onion and garlic, flour, salt and Ginisa flavor mix.
- Put flour in a bowl and form the banana blossom mixture into balls resembling meatballs and roll it in the flour to coat them.
- The mock meat balls should not be too large, make it small to medium size to cook the balls evenly inside and out.
- Do the same on the rest of the mixture to form the mock meat balls.
- Prepare a deep frying pan with cooking oil and heat it to medium heat.
- Deep fry the mock meat balls until golden brown.
- Strain the excess oil and serve hot with banana ketchup.
Recipe by Manny Montala of Kawaling Pinoy