Chefs at Home: Kangkong and Banana Blossom Cheese Dip
- 1 medium (about 180 grams) banana blossoms (puso ng saging), tough outer layers removed
- 1/2 bar (110 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups kangkong (water spinach) leaves, blanched, squeezed, and chopped
- 1/4 cup cheese, grated (quickmelt or mozzarella)
- toasted bread
- Slice banana blossom in half. Boil in water for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Chop into 1-inch pieces. Set aside.
- Combine cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, sour cream, and garlic in a mixing bowl. Using an electric hand mixer or a wooden spoon, blend mixture until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in banana blossoms and kangkong. Season with salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Butter a 2-cup capacity baking dish. Pour mixture into the baking dish. Top with grated melting cheese.
- Broil under a turbo broiler or in a preheated oven at 350ºF for 15 to 20 minutes or until cheese has melted and the top is lightly browned.
- Serve with grilled or toasted bread slices.
Recipe by Manny Montala of Kawaling Pinoy